Riley- Reading Letter #8

The Old Man and the Sea

pgs. 25-45

Ernest Hemingway

This week as I was sick I continued reading the very intriguing book, “The Old Man and the Sea.” As I’m sure you know if you read my last reading letter, Ernest Hemingway is a very good writer and progressing through the book, I find each page is better than the last. The following 20 pages I read this week, were similar to the first 25. But I think what I read this week focuses on how alone the Old Man is, but I think that that’s the way that he wants to live his life, I think he enjoy’s his life this way because there’s nobody to contribute to the stress of everyday life. Something else that really stood out to me was that, this man, works for what he needs and wants. Like whenever he went out to sea to CATCH HIS DINNER! He caught a marlin and a fish called Albacore. So that’s basically a synopsis/reflection of what was read this week.

This book is very easy to reflect about mainly because it’s got a lot of meaning and heart to it. I really like the old man’s attitude in this book because it’s kind of related to mine. He’s being himself, having fun with life, doing what he wants to do to make a living, but specifically not caring what anybody else thinks of him. There’s a quote that I heard the other day that makes me think of this book and a couple other occurances in my life and it goes like this, “There are Hurricane, Earthquakes, and Tornadoes, and lots of really bad things happen to good people everyday….and sometimes….there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.” This quote reminds me of the story because the old man is a very wise human being. He’s spiritual, and intriguing, fascinating, and smart. This just simply reminds me of something that he would say. Other than that the story was very enlightening and I gess I want to leave you by saying that this book is a great one. If you’re that kind of down to Earth person who likes the coast and the ocean, and tropics, and FISH! Then this book is totally for you…