Anna M. Reading letter 2 Qt. 2

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Original play by William Shakespeare

Dear Miss Gibson,

We just finished reading a Midsummer Night’s Dream. It is a complicated book about a fairy named Oberon, who causes a lot of trouble between four young people named Hermia, Helena, Lysander, and Demetrius. Hermia and Lysander are in love, but Demitrius loves Hermia, and Hermia’s father is forcing her to marry Demitrius. Helena is in love with Demitrius. The fairies, Oberon and his wife, Titania, are fighting over a child. There is also a group of fools, who are putting on a play within a play. Oberon gets his servant, Puck, to drip a magic flower on Demitrius and Lysander’s eyes, which makes everyone love the wrong person. The play ends happily, though. Oberon and Titania quit arguing, Hermia marries Lysander, Demitrius marries Helena, and the fools put on a successful play.

This was a very good play, but it was very confusing. I thought the fools were very funny. I liked having them in the play, because they were a break from all the drama going on. I felt bad for Helena at first, because she really loved Demitrius, but I’m glad that she married him in the end. I also felt bad for Hermia when Lysander quit loving her, and loved Helena instead, but once again I am glad that Hermia got to marry Lysander in the end. I also felt bad for Hermia when her dad forbid her from marrying the man she loved. If I was in her situation, I would have run away with Lysander. The movie helped me to understand this play better, because I could see what was going on. Also, the actors showed lots of emotions with facial expressions, and gestures. This really helped me understand it better. I think that this play was very good, and everyone should try to read it sometime in their life. The story behind it was very cool.

Anna M.