Midsummer Night’s Dream Analysis- Seth

“Midsummer Night’s Dream Analysis:

Love”

By Seth Copeland

The topic I chose to write about is love.  There are many examples of love in the play, Midsummer Night’s Dream.  Love is shown in many different ways.  I will list as many different examples of love from Midsummer Night’s Dream as I can and I will go into detail and explain some of them.  Here are some examples of love; Egeus has a love for his daughter and he just wants the best for her; Demetrius loves Hermia, but he loved Helena first; Hermia and Lysander are in love with each other throughout the play; Theseus ends up marrying Hipolita in the play; and Nick Bottom has a passionate love for him.  In this play Hermia seems like the most loved character of all in my opinion.

Before I talk about the relationships in the play, I will talk about Puck and the love potions.  “Having once this juice.  I’ll watch Titania when she is a asleep, and drop the liquor of it in her eyes,” said Oberon in the play.  In the play the fairy king, Oberon, wants to play a cruel trick on his wife, Titania.  Him and Titania are fighting in the film because Titania found a human boy and Oberon wants to raise him, but Titania won’t give it to him.  “Give me the boy and I will go with thee,” said Oberon.  Titania replied, “Not for thy fairy kingdom.  Faries, away!  We shall chide downright, if I no longer stay.”  This makes Oberon mad so he decides to take his anger out on Titania by making her fall in love with a donkey.  Puck puts a spell on Nick Bottom that turns his head into the head of an ass.  This is a very cruel trick to play on any person; nobody likes his/her emotions to be played with.

I will talk about the main love story in this play. The main love story is Lysander and Hermia.  Hermia’s father is Egeus; Egeus wants his daughter Hermia to marry Demetrius.  Hermia doesn’t like Demetrius though.  Hermia is between a rock and a hard place in this play.  During the movie Hermia and Lysander decide to run away to Athens.  Helena, Hermia’s friend, finds out and she tells Demetrius (the person she loves in the play) that they are planning to run away.  Demetrius decides to try and stop them.  In the end Egeus accepts that his daughter loves Lysander, and he lets them marry.

I will talk about one more example of love in the play.  I will briefly talk about the love between Oberon and his wife, Titania.  Oberon and Titania are in a constant state of argument throughout the play.  Oberon and Titania are arguing about a little human boy that Titania had found.  Oberon wants to raise the child, but Titania won’t let him.  To get Titania back, Oberon decides to tell his assistant Puck to put a love spell on his where she would fall in love with an ass.  In the end Oberon and Titania settle their differences and they decide to keep the child and raise him together.

There are always differences and arguments in a relationship.  The way you resolve it decides whether or not you will ever be happy with each other in the end.  To solve a disagreement people must be understanding of each other.  A perfect example of this is when Egeus finally understands that it doesn’t matter what he wants for his daughter, it’s what she wants.  These are the examples of love in the play Midsummer Night’s Dream.

THE END