Midsummer Night’s Dream Friendship Essay Draft- Kelley

Friendship has very many feelings, exists in many different forms, and is shared between many different types of people. There is no end to all the types of friendship a person experiences throughout his or her lifetime. The word has no one definition.

To me, friendship is the feeling of similarity in two people where both of them like each other and understand differences. This is only my definition of friendship; there are hundreds of different meanings to the word. It could be seen as cooperative exchanges between two people. For others, it may be the exchange of advice and sharing of hardship. There is father-son, person- animal (e.g. dog is man’s best friend), mentor-apprentice, peer-peer, there are too many different types to list. Anybody in the world can share a bond. It doesn’t matter if they aren’t close by or far away, a friend is a friend.

In A Midsummer Night’s Dream, there is more than one type of friendship being displayed. There is that between all of the fools, who were all alike in personality , thus they are all friends. There is also the ring of four lovers in the book. The only real friendship, though, is between Lysander and Hermia at the beginning. In the book, Demetrius also loves Hermia and Helena loves Demetrius.

I think the types of friendship in the play are all kind of the same. During the climax of the play, both Lysander and Demetrius start to love Helena, who nobody had loved before. Then Lysander loves Hermia again and everybody lives happily ever after. I think that the relationship between Demetrius and Helena is a little bit weird because he hated her once. But I think that their friendship turns out being that of husband and wife. I also think this of Hermia and Lysander’s relationship.

I cannot say that Hermia and Helena’s friendship is the greatest. At the beginning Helena was very jealous of Hermia because she had the love of Lysander and Demetrius. Then, later in the play, Hermia became jealous of Helena because of the same reason. In the end, they both got what they wanted.

Friendship is a very complicated subject. There are many different types of friendship shared by many different types of people. Friendship is a very important aspect of our lives. There is nobody in the world that can’t experience a bond with another person. Any two types of people share a friendship in the world, and that’s what makes it go around.