Lensie Feeman Holocaust reveiw

Lenise Freeman 

The Holocaust Book review  

I Just finished reading the book the Holocaust, by R.G Grant. This book covers many topics of the Holocaust. This book taught me so much more about the Holocaust than I had ever known. I think the way they were treated was wrong and sad.  The Jews were told to do many different types of labor, and if they did not do it they would get yelled out, hurt, or even killed. Some of the people did not want to survive, because they were so depressed, upset, and mad, that they decided to kill themselves. Every time someone killed them selves, the others were punished. It was not a happy life for all of the people. I think the people who killed themselves were selfish, because the people who wanted to survive and one day see their family, were hurt, or killed.

The Nazis are people who were mean to the Jews, and bossed them around.  They often tricked them. An example is they would take the Jews into a dark room so that they could not see anything and tell them to take off all of their clothes. They told the Jews that they would be getting a shower, and they all would get excited and happy, because they are not given showers very much. Then the Nazis put the people in gas chambers, the people cannot do anything because the door is sealed, so there is no way for them to get out. Then the S.S drops Zyklon B through the chamber, that kills them all. If I were a Jew and put into a dark room (gas chamber)  I would be scared and realize that I would not be given a shower, that I was going to be killed.

The Jews were fully integrated into German society, that the Nazis had problems in telling who was or was not a Jew. In 1935 a degree started that “a Jew is anyone who is descended from at least three grandparents who are racially full Jews” (Page 21). In 1938 the Nazi policy toward the Jews toughened, and they became stricter, and things became harder. 

The chance to survive was different at each camp. The life for the Jewish slave workers was unbroken nightmare. They were given small pieces of bread and thin soup for their food. The Jews had no choice at all about was happening. Some of the Jews (picked at random) would be chosen to be experimented on the suffering from this was often extreme. 

Alexander Donat wrote, “Beating and being beaten were taken for granted at Majdanek. Anyone could beat an inmate and the more experienced inmates never questioned why. They knew that they were beaten because they would happen to run into someone who wanted to beat them. If you were to cover your face or head you would be beaten even more” (Page 43).

I thought that this book did a good job explaining on what when on. It did a good job adding details and telling how people felt about what happened. It did a good job of showing pictures of the Jewish people, the Nazis, and some pictures taken of what went on. I think that the Holocaust was a very sad time, and people were treated wrong.  

Citations  

www.Thinkquest.org Created in 2007 By:Larry  Nelson 

Dialougetoday.com 

Created Nov. 4 2009 By: Admin 

Martinfrost.wts 

Monday 1, 2010 (latest updates) 

Martin Frost 

Noblednews.com 

From Wikipedia  

(I used many of the same websites to get my pictures and information)