Writing #3- Taylor-Quarter 3

The Dust Bowl’s First Rain

I am living through a terrible ordeal of storms and disease. Our homes are filled with dust and the people in our town are dying.  I’m tired of helplessly watching people suffer through disease and deaths of family members. I want the terrible clouds of black dust to come to a stop. I pray for the skies to open up over the town and rain hard and cover vast amounts of land, covering every inch of dirt lying on the ground, in the houses, and on the animals. I walked outside of my small home to begin my morning chores. I could not stand to be outside in the afternoon heat, it was uncomfortable since the temperatures could climb to almost 107 degrees. I was swatting the dust from my families’ clothing when I saw something that I was almost unable to recognize.

When I turned to grab another piece of clothing from the basket, I felt a small drop of water hit the top of my head, and then another.  I began to see small raindrops hit the sandy ground creating puddles underneath my feet. I saw nothing but the raindrops falling from the sky and my dus“ty dress dampening with each raindrop that fell. My dress became heavier and heavier as the rain began to pour from the dark clouds in the sky. A sensation ran through my body of joy and hope. I fell to my knees and felt the puddles of water on the ground swaying against my legs.  I sat in the rain thinking and praying that this moment would never end. I thought of all the people who had left their homes and their lives to avoid the dust storms only to never return. I thought of the joy and happiness the other towns’ people could be feeling at that very moment. I looked up to the sky opening my mouth and sticking out my dry tongue to catch the cold raindrops. A raindrop broke open on the tip of my tongue causing the water to trickle down the back of my throat. I was truly happy. The dusts storms were coming to an end. Our town had been through so much together and I knew we would survive this too.

The rain stopped and although it was a short rain it had already changed the lives of the people. This rain could mean a thousand things to me and the other people in my small town. I thought hard about what it symbolized in my life and then I came to a conclusion. It brought hope to our town, and an idea that only good was to come. This feeling was a good feeling, a feeling in which I would never forget.