Reading Letter #4- 4th Quarter-Brianna

The Agency: A Spy in the House

By Y.S. Lee

Page 1- the end (page 335)

This book is about a girl named Mary Quinn. She is saved from being killed by a lady, who she soon finds out in from an Academy for Girls. Mary is taught many things and soon becomes a teacher at the Academy. Mary dislikes this job and goes to talk to the head. She is then in a private room invited to join the Agency. This is an undercover spy group of women. Mary’s first assignment is to spy on the Thorold house, while pretending to be a guide to the young lady at this household. In this book Mary is helped by someone named James Easton who is also spying on the house.

This book holds my dangerous adventures for Mary and was a fantastic book. The book is part of a trilogy and I can’t wait for the next book. I had some questions about the book. Why did Mary not like teaching? Where will her next adventure take her? Will she ever see the Thorold’s again? James Easton? Why did the Academy choose to save Mary from being killed? One thing I found interesting about the book is that the book takes place in the 1850s and Mary and many other women are holding a man’s job. This also added to the danger Mary was in of being discovered. I also liked Mary’s personality. She was clever, brave, and daring, as well as being very caring. The book is divided into chapters, but every chapter is a new day or what is going on in someone else’s perspective. This helped the reader understand the feelings of other characters. Another thing to keep in mind while reading is that not everyone is who you think they are. For example a certain lady who is always ill and tired will go from complaining about this to holding a gun to someone’s back. I would recommend this book to a friend.