Carson- Reading letter4 Qr 4- Slavery

Slavery

Slavery

40-end

Carson Turner

The book was mainly about how the slaves and whites pushed for freedom.    White people that were anti-slavery were called abolitionists.  Some of the abolitions in the book were Abraham Lincoln, John Brown, Levi Coffin, William Garrison, and Harriet Stowe.

Abraham Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation which ended slavery after the Civil War.  Abraham Lincoln was an abolitionist from the north.  He was always interested in politics, so when he was old enough he became more politically involved.  His first major assignment was to enter bleeding Kansas with 1500 federal troops to stop the mini Civil War that was going on at that time.  Before the War he ran for President and got the job. He was the president that ended slavery.

Another abolitionist was John Brown.  He earned his place in history at the Raid on Harpers Ferry.  He thought that God had chosen to end slavery.  He got 16 men and marched the streets of Virginia to try to get in to the Federal Arsenal to arm black men and slaves and to start a slave revolt.  He was stopped by 100 federal troops captured and put to death. 

Two other abolitionist writers of the time were Harriet Stowe and William Garrison.  They tried to abolish slavery in the newspapers and in books.    Harriet Stowe wrote a book called “UNCKE TOM’S CABIN”.  This showed the Northerners that blacks were the same as them, just different skin color.  William Garrison started an antislavery news paper called “The Liberator”.  They did what was they loved to show to the Northerners a true picture of slavery and those who were involved in it.   

Another abolitionist was Levi Coffin.  He was known as the President of the Underground Railroad.  Over the time that he had over 3000 runaway slaves find freedom, helping them get to the north.  He was a major station in the Underground Railroad.

I think that the South was very ignorant.  If I lived in the south at this time and I saw slaves running away, and northerners helping them than I would have to think that there was something wrong that we were doing. But on the other hand the South economy’s majority was on the cotton industry. So I could see why the north and the south had to fight to resolve this problem.