The golden fish

The fish falling from the sky is an annual event here in Makaila, Deaquiteraonianland. They drop a golden fish from the sky once a year and people have to find where it is, there is only one winner and that winner gets half a million dollars. Last year it took 15 hours for somebody to find the golden fish and I was about 10 yards away from the man who found it, he was a math teacher at the elementary school but nobody knows where he is now. The fish drop is in 4 hours and i am determined to win it this year, lots of my friends are teaming up and splitting the money if they find it, not me though i want all 500,000. After school everyday I go and map out the whole island and there is no place I haven’t mapped out and I have a whole backpack of stuff I will need Coffee, Snacks, Water, stuff for sandwiches and much more. The longest search for the golden fish has been 65 days and after the first 24 hours 60% of people gave up.

This golden fish tradition has been going on for 50 years and the president at the time Deaquiterson Hill started it thinking it would bring in lots of tourist money and the starting price was $2,000 and I’m named after the president who started it, my name is Deaquiterson Peterson and i am 17 and go to Makaila high and live with 4 other kids who go there but if i win this i am going to move to United States and start a better life their. It’s 30 minutes until the start of the hunt and so people don’t cheat. We have to wait in a huge tent that can hold 1,000,000 people and I heard about 700,000 were participating this year and there are only 100,000 people who live on this island and about 70% of that is doing it. As the timer on my watch hit 5 minutes I got super nervous and anxious to get out of this tent.

Once the tent opened every single person started sprinting out of it, everyone was just on top of each other just blindly running hoping they would get lucky and just see the fish. There was a big hill to the left and a little ditch that went about 20ft down to the right. The whole crowd split on those except me and about 1,000 other people, I thought there was no reason to go those ways because somebody would find it so I turned around and started jogging towards the forest. Once I was in the forest I was all alone and started looking around, it could be anywhere up in the trees, in a bush, or just lying on the ground. It’s been about 2 hours looking in the forest and found nothing but neither has anybody else, when somebody finds the fish there’s a loud announcement and the winner says “The fish has been found good luck next year”,  and those words are the most heartbreaking words I have ever heard, but this year it will be me who makes that announcement. After 5 hours of searching what felt like the entire island I decided to go down by the water and make a sandwich. As I was sitting there eating my turkey sandwich I saw a reflection out from the water.

That’s when I realized “THAT’S THE GOLDEN FISH”. It was about 200 yards out floating in the water and I jumped in the freezing cold water that took my breath away. I swam as fast as I could and finally I got there and carefully picked it up. I was swimming as fast as I could and I got to shore and sprinted to the tent. I screamed “ I GOT THE GOLDEN FISH” , they said to me “go make the announcement kid”,  so I did and said the best sentence of my life. They gathered everybody and gave me the big check, “this is going to change my life forever” ,I thought.

One thought on “The golden fish

1. Lots going on here. Good suspense and tension with the main character. I want to know a bit more about who he is. Talk to me about some punctuation and grammar issues, please. This reminds me of that hunt for the buried chest that was recently discovered.
    MsG