Katy Daugherty – Reading Letter 2

Katy Daugherty

August 30, 2020

Dear Ms. Gibson

I Am Still Alive a Novel

Katie Alice Marshall

Pages 25-50

Summary:

Jess starts to talk about what it was like before her parents died and she was stranded. When she was 5 years old, she was put into a foster family but hated it because one of her “brothers” would abuse her. Her real father finally came to get her and she had to move to Alaska, her father treated her like poorly, but Jess had hurt her back in a wreck and broke her leg getting there, her father never helped her.

Response:

I disliked this section of the book because the author would skip around and would make it very confusing for the reader. I never really understood why she was put into this foster family at such a young age because the author didn’t tell us how she got there and why. I want to remember how her actual father treated her because I think it will affect how she acts and the choices she makes later on in the book. The reason why I wanted to read this book is because of the title. The title of the book, I Am Still Alive, really drew my eye to it because I thought it would be a book I would like to read. The introduction of the book wasn’t the first thing, it was in the middle of the story and told us background of Jess and her family.

Sincerely,

Katy Daugherty

One thought on “Katy Daugherty – Reading Letter 2

1. Hey Katy,
    Do you like that the author started in the middle of the action? Does she use flashbacks a lot to give your background?
    MsG