Reading Letter 4

Minal Khan

September 20, 2020

One of us is Lying

Karen M.

pages 218-230

Nate’s mom talks about what she did for the past years, and asks if he needed anything. After Bronwyn’s interview with the detectives, she remembers how her sister had a talent for hacking into people’s Tumblr accounts; and had wished she hacked into Simon’s old one to take away her post. Later that night, Bronwyn asked Nate to come over. She wanted him to tell her why he hadn’t told her about his mom being alive. After that she felt bad, and they watched a scary movie.

I could feel how Nate did not want to be in the same room as his mom when she was trying to explain herself.  She was trying to tell him how she had been doing therapy, and had become happier ever since she left. She also talked about how she was wanting to be in his life again, so that she could help around. Nate wasn’t very interested and left the house. I guess if I were in that position I would do the same thing; since you would feel neglected for many years, and then that person just shows up out of nowhere. I also felt a little bad of the mother since he was a little cold towards her.  He drove around the city for about three hours. After Bronwyn had done the interview with the detectives, she had remembered how her sister was good at hacking into people’s Tumblr accounts. When Bronwyn saw her sister, I could feel the huge glare she was giving her. I honestly think that Bronwyn shouldn’t be mad at her sister, because her sister didn’t even know the post was real. Bronwyn then wished that she could’ve hacked into the account to take down the post she wrote to Simon. After some time, Bronwyn asked Nate to come over to talk. When he came, she wanted him to tell her why he never told her about his mother. I feel like Bronwyn shouldn’t have asked that question considering that she just came from an interview, in which they were saying that she might have killed Simon. It turns out that Nate had thought she would never come back, and believed she was dead; so he lived with that lie until she showed up. I could tell that Bronwyn felt bad that she had asked, and she understood. After that, they watched a scary movie together.

Sincerely, Minal

One thought on “Reading Letter 4

1. Hey Minal,
    That’s very perceptive regarding the relationships between the characters. Sounds much like in real life how we might tend to react to such an event.
    MsG