Anna M. Qt. 2 Writing 2

Friendship

By Anna M.

FINAL DRAFT

Friendships are very important in everyone’s lives.  Friends help you get through the hard times, and they help you have fun and be a better person.  Friends help you with your problems.  They love you, and you love them back.  Good friends would do almost anything for you.

Friends are very important to have in life.  Without friends people would be lonely and miserable. In A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Hermia is miserable when she is fighting with Helena over 2 men. I trust my friends to always have my back.   I believe that if friends are real friends, they will stick with you no matter what, and will always want the best for you.  Friends do fight, like Hermia and Helena do in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but they will always come back to being friends again.  My friends help me get through the day, by showing me that they care for me as much as I care for them.  They make me feel confident about myself by complimenting me, and they always make me smile.

Everyone thinks of the word “friend” in his or her own way.  When I hear the word “friend”, I think of people who I love.  I think of people that can make me happy when I’m sad, and people that I really care for.  My friends are not perfect, but I love them anyways.  They are always there for me, and I will always be there for them.  I have amazing friends!

The hardest part of making and keeping friends that you have to be a friend to them too.  You have to be there for you friends when they’re sad.  Your friends will look to you to help them to get through the day, like Helena does to Hermia when Demetrius hates Helena.  They will expect you to help them with their problems, and help keep them happy.  Friends are great to have, but you have to pay attention to them, which can sometimes be a lot of work.

In the play a Midsummer Night’s Dream by Shakespeare, there are many types of friendships be between the characters. There are friendships between the lovers, because in order to have a good relationship, they must be good friends. There is also a friendship between Hermia and Helena. They do not have a very strong friendship though.

Helena was not a very good friend to Hermia.  For example, when Hermia told Helena that she was going to run away with Lysander, Helena went off and told Demetrius.  Helena says, “I will go tell him of fair Hermia’s flight” to herself after Lysander and Hermia leave. Also, when both men fall in love with Helena because of magic, she automatically assumed that Hermia was playing a mean prank on her, which shows that she believed Hermia would betray her. When Hermia finds out that Lysander is in love with Helena, Helena says, “Now I perceive they have conjoined all three to fashion this false sport, in spite of me…” After this they began to argue, and got into a catfight, which shows they really aren’t good friends.

Another friendship in this story is Hermia and Lysander. They are in love, but they are also great friends.  All good relationships are based off of friendship.  I can tell they are friends because of the love they show for each other.  Hermia says, “If then true loves have ever been crossed…wishes and tears, poor Fancy’s followers.” This shows her love for Lysander, and that they are deeply in love.

Friendship will always be very important in life whether it is between friends or lovers. In a Midsummer Night’s Dream, Hermia’s friendship with Lysander is very important to her. It is so important to her that she runs away, risking being killed. This shows how important friendships can really be.