Sam M- 2nd Quarter- Writing 2 Final

Friendship

I think friendship could mean a lot of different things to different people. Friendship to me means a bond that I have with someone. I have all different friends. I have my best friends, my friends that I can talk to about anything, and just friends that I say hello to as I pass in the hall. My best friends are usually the people I hang out with or talk with. People I consider to be my best friends or close friends are there for me when I need them most, help my through rough patches in my life, and are there when I just want to relax.

In A Midsummer Night’s Dream I think there is multiple types of friendship. I think friendships are made and broken. Friendships throughout the story are even tempered with by magic. Take for example when Hermia and Lysander are lying in the woods asleep, and Puck comes by and buts the love potion on Lysander’s eyes. The potion makes him fall in love with the first girl his eyes see. Helena is actually the first one he sees so he falls in love with her. Lysander is supposed to be in love with Hermia. So Hermia becomes very upset with Helena and their friendship is temporally broken. Then Lysander and Demetrius’s friendship is also broken because they both are in love with Helena. I think friendship’s can build and break off of love.

There are also ways that friendships can build through love. Like in A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the end, Helena ends up with her dream man Demetrius and Hermia and Lysander end up together again. Helena and Hermia become very good friends again and so do Lysander and Demetrius. They end up having a marriage with the Duke and Hippolyta. Everything ends up working out between them, even Demetrius finally starts to understand how friends are important.

Controlling friendships are not always good. If someone that is a bigger leader than you ask you to do something, you better follow through and do the right thing. Unlike what Puck does to Oberon. Oberon, the king of the fairies, instructs one his friends Puck to put the “love potion” on Lysander so he will fall more in love with Hermia than he already is. Puck does it wrong and Oberon gets mad at him. Their friendship is temporally broken until Puck makes it up to Oberon by doing another favor and doing it correctly.

Friendship has always played a big role in my life. I go to my friends for a lot of things, whether it is just to hang out or for advice. I know that they will always be there for me. Last year when my brother got very sick and was in the hospital, my friends were what helped me get through it. They gave me support and just someone to talk to. I try to help my friends the most I can. It is important for a person to have those kinds of people in their life.