Reading letter 3- 2nd Quarter- Sam M.

Title-Escape to West Berlin

Author-Maurine Dahlberg

Pages-192/192

The book I am currently reading is Escape to West Berlin by Maurine Dahlberg. This book so far is about a little girl named Heidi who lives in East Berlin during the Cold War. The Cold War was the war between the United States and the Soviet Union. Heidis dad had been working on the West side of Berlin for years, it had never really been a problem for their family. Then the war got pretty bad and her dad was told he couldn’t work on the West side anymore. This proposed a very big problem for her family. Her family decides to try to escape to the West side and finds out that it is a lot harder than they thought it would have been.

I actually really liked this book. I thought the story was pretty cool. The way the book was written was really well done. I liked how it showed the story through the eyes of a young girl. It showed the hard times that the kids faced not just the adults. It took place in a interesting time in history. This story really helped me understand what happened during that war a lot better. It was a good story about her life, but it also had facts about what happened during the Cold War. I never really understood the concept of the Cold War but this explained it a lot better, which I really like. I learner the hardships of losing a job in that time, and what you would go through. It made me realize that I am glad that I don’t have to go through something like that everyday as some kids do. It also made me really appreciate what our government and army does for us. So I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a good story and to learn new things while they read.