3rd Quarter Reading Letter 2- Seth

The Lightning Thief

By: Rick Riordan

Pages: 30/375

I have started reading The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.  So far I’ve read the first 4 chapters.  I think that the first and last 5 chapters are the most important in a book.  If the first 5 chapters are good that means that the reader will keep on reading the book, if they’re bad the reader will probabaly stop reading the book.  And the last five chapters have to close out the book well so that the reader will want to read the sequel. 

So far the first 5 chapters are good in The Lightning Thief, the book has gotten very intense.  It started out with Percy talking about half-bloods.  I haven’t figured out what a half-blood is exactly yet.  The book starts out with Percy on the bus on the way to the Greek Mythology Museum in New York City.  On the way there the books talks about Yancy Academy, the school Percy attends, and his friends and other people he doesn’t like.  Percy’s best friend is Grover.  Grover older than Percy.  He had been held back a couple of times.  Grover isn’t exactly intimidating.  He gets picked on all the time by Nancy Bobofit.  Nancy sat right behind Percy and Grover so that she could stick food in his hair.  Percy is always getting into fights trying to protect Grover.  None of the teachers like him, except for Mr. Brunner.  Mr. Brunner is his myhtology teacher.  Mythology is the only class Percy even tries to pay attention in.  Percy gets into a fight on the bus with Nancy Bobofit.  Mrs. Dodds breaks up the fight.  Mrs. Dodds doesn’t like Percy, but she adores Nancy Bobofit.  Percy is very close to getting expelled from Yancy.  Mrs. Dodds tells him one more slip up and your expelled.  

When the class gets to the museum Percy and Grover walk up in front by Mr. Brunner.  Mr.  Brunner was Percy’s favorite teacher.  He was the only teacher that believed Percy could get an A.  Mr. Brunner was also different than any of the other teachers, he was in a wheelchair.  The day went by fast and lunch came quickly.  Percy gets in touble again and Mrs. Dodds brings him inside the museum to talk to him.  She brings him to a room where nobody else is.  Something wierd happens and Mrs. Dodds turns into a huge, terrifying monster.  Percy is defenseless.  Out of nowhere Mr. Brunner throws him a sword and Percy conquers the monster.  This is way too wierd for Percy.  When he gets back outside things get even wierder.  Everyone is saying that they don’t know what Percy is talking about when he talks about Mrs. Dodds.  They say that she never existed.  Percy doesn’t understand.  For the rest of the year Percy is confused.  The night before the end of year exams Percy goes to Mr. Brunner’s office for advice for his test.  He overhears Grover and Mr. Brunner talking about the incident earlier that year at the Museum.  Grover talks about what he will do to protect Percy.  Percy doesn’t understand this.  He decides to try to get a better spot.  He knocks over a plant in the hallway.  Mr. Brunner comes outside to examin the damage.  Percy slips into a classroom next to him.  When Mr. Brunner returns to his office Percy gets out of there.  Percy goes back to his room.  The next day Percy learns that he has been expelled.

I wanted to read this book because the movie is coming out soon and  I really liked this book before, plus I really like fast paced books which makes this book great for me.  I would recommend it to anybody.