Reading Letter #7-3rd Quarter-Brianna

Cat Among the Pigeons

By Julia Golding

Page 1- the end(page 345)

This book is about a girl named Catherine Royal, called Cat by her friends. In this book Cat helps out her African American friend Pedro. The book takes place in 1790, so slavery is in use. Pedro’s master comes back to reclaim him, so Cat and a group of abolitionist help to free him. In the process Cat almost losses her life.

This book was really good. It is a mystery and historical fiction, which is the best combination. One thing I like about the book is its format. The book is set up as a play script by having scenes and acts. Also at the beginning and end of the book the curtains rise/fall. I have some questions about what I read and what might happen. Will Pedro ever be wanted by his master again? Why did his master want him back? Will Cat ever run into Billy Sheppard again? What will Pedro do once free? Why did Cat endanger her life for Pedro? Will Cat always live in the theatre? Something I found interesting about the book is that the theatre is really big in the 1790s. I would recommend this book to a friend.