Reading Letter #7- quarter 3- Anna T

The School Story
Andrew Clements
80/228

I am starting to re-read The School Story, by Andrew Clements. I read this book a couple of years ago but I liked it so I thought I’d read it again. It is a about best friends, Natalie Nelson and Zoe Reisman. Natalie is a very talented writer and Zoe thinks her books should be published. Natalie’s mom is a book editor at Shipley Junior Books, in New York. Natalie immediately sees the problem, she can’t have her mom publish her own book, since she’s only 12 years old. Zoe comes up with a solution. She told Natalie to use a pen name, so her mom wouldn’t know the book was hers. Natalie still isn’t so sure but Zoe pressures her into doing it. One day when Natalie was at her mom’s office, she saw boxes and boxes off books that are never even read. Her mom said they first read well-known authors books’ and occasionally get to some of those. At that instant, Natalie loses all hope. She knows her mom wouldn’t think twice about throwing her book in with the others in that pile. But Zoe won’t take no for an answer so they are going to try it.

I’ve always loved Andrew Clements and The School Story is one of my favorites. Natalie and Zoe remind me of a typical pair of best friends in the 6th grade, but there’s always more to people then what you might think. I’m hoping to finish the rest of this book but I’m not sure if I will.

2 thoughts on “Reading Letter #7- quarter 3- Anna T

1. Anna,

You have a really good summary! The only thing I could really find was you had kind of a small paragraph explaining how you felt. Overall job well done!

Sam