3rd Quarter Reading Letter 7- Seth

Guinness World Records 2001

By: Seth Copeland

288/288

I’ve started to read Guinness World Records 2001 by Guinness World Records Ltd.  I chose this book because this week we had MAP Testing and we needed a book to read for when we got done with the section we were working on.  So far I like this book. Guinness World Records 2001 is a huge book of records.  A lot of the records are kind of wierd.  To be recognized in this book you have to be witnessed by a representative from Guiness doing a stunt, or something like that, that nobody has done before.  If you comeplete the activity you are given a certificate and a cash prize.  Plus you are put in the Guiness World Book of Records until some other person breaks your record.  You also can have more than one record.  Many people who have broken records try to break more.

There are many different records in the Guiness Book of World Records. My favorite records are mostly sport records like Freddy Adu was the youngest player to play professional soccer in the USA, he was 15.  Another record that I liked was the “Most Points in an NBA Game” set by Wilt Chamberlain on March 12, 1962.  He scored 100 points against the New York Knicks.  There are also other interesting records like the “Largest Army” is held by the China’s People Liberation Army.  The army had 2.2 million service personnel.  My favorite record though is the “Tallest Hotel.”  This record is held by Burj Al Arab in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.  The towering hotel is a record 1,053 feet tall, containing 202 total suites with a total of 1.2 million square feet.  Many famous people have been to this hotel.  Andy Roddick and Roger Federer held a tennis match on top of the hotel and Tiger Woods has hit golfballs of the roof.

I really like reading these kind of books every once in a while because there aren’t as much words and more pictures.  This makes the book easier to process in my brain.  Thats one of the many reasons I chose this book.  I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys to read about records or just wants to relax and read something interesting.