Riley- Reading Letter #6

This week i continued reading Copper Sun. I didnt get much of a chance to read this week but I read from page 85-100. This book if you arent aware is called, “Copper Sun,” By: Sharon M. Draper.

This week I began PART 2 of the book, this is the part where a man named Mr. Derbyshire and his son Clayton, of Derbyshire farms, purchases Amari from the auction block, for Clayton’s 16th birthday. Amari is at the point in the story where she is just getting the first glimpse at life as a slave. A girl that works for Mr. Derby named Polly, is told to be Amari’s “mentor” if you may think. One of Amari’s biggest struggles is trying to learn the english language before Mr. Derby gets on to her and also adjusting to her new name that Clayton changed to “Myna”. (If you arent aware this book is about slavery and Amari is a teenage African slave girl) I stopped right at the part where Amari is assigned her first duties, and hopefully they will not be as putrid as her new master.

As I read through this book, I find how utterly disgusting slavery was. Whites back then didn’t even once give a thought that negroes had feelings and were actually human. If you read this book you will understand what I am talking about because it’s very descriptive about how self-centered whites could be. One thought that just occurred to me is that, everybody knows there is still plenty of racism in the world in today’s society, but what if somebody had read this book and accepted the actions of Clayton and Mr. Derbyshire?! That would be completely radical. I want to remember how Amari reacted when she saw the faces of the white men and women when she was being auctioned off. If i could take a wild guess, i would say she was disgusted, confused, dissapointed, hurt, humiliated, and lonely. Which also leads me to a very critical point in PART 2 which was whenever Amari and her new friend Afi got seperated when being sold on the block. Amari clung to Afi clothes as if it was the last thing she had in life. She cried as if she was being ripped away from her own mother, which previously in the story actually took place. In some odd way, there was so much emotion in this part of the story that I almost connected to Amari’s feelings and emotions. This is truly an interesting story, and intends to get more suspenseful as time comes along. Going to go read now!