Kodi J. Reading Letter #1, Quarter 4

Title: The Old Man And The Sea

Author: Ernest Hemingway

Pg 1-130 [of 130]

I decided to start reading more classic novels, the first one that came up was The Old Man And The Sea. I found this book to be very interesting because it made me want to keep reading. In the first thirty pages of the book it was manly just about a young boy and an old man talking about how they have not caught any fish yet for 84 days straight, everybody thought he was a very unlucky fisherman . It started to get more interesting when the old man went out to sea and started fishing. On the first day he had caught one small fish, on the second day he caught two bigger fish and on the third day he caught a huge 18 foot sword fish. It took 2 days for him to bring the fish in. Then it was to large to get in the boat so he had to tie it to the side. The man was so excited he started to head back to the small island but the blood from the tuna was trailing sharks behind it. I can not tell what happens next because I would have spoiled the story, you will just have to find out for your-self’s.

There was one thing I was wondering through out the story which was why did the boy not go with him? If the boy did go how would it affect the story? I like this book because it was very interesting and well described. This book teaches the read to never give up no mater what. I give this book a 4 1/2 out of 5, because it was a good story but was extremely boring in the beginning. I would recommend this book to anybody who likes classic novels and who has read The Young Man And The Sea.