Riley- Student Writing #3

It was dusk on a Wednesday, September 6, 2008 at exactly 6:13 pm. Ivan was riding through town in New York City in the back of a yellow taxi cab and he couldn’t just shake the feeling that somewhere, somehow danger was coming. All of a sudden the cab came to a gentle stop. Ivan stepped out the car and suddenly looked at where he was. He carefully moved over to the drivers window and said, “Sir, I beleive you’ve brought me to the wrong address.” “I’m trying to get to 901 W. Broadband St.” “This is 305 S. Westbrook?” The driver paused for about 3 minutes and slowly said, “Do You Remember Ivan?” That sent a nervous jolt down the spine of Ivan’s cool back. Ivan was very nervous at what was going on, but just decided to walk down the street. “Well, I’ll walk back to my house,” Ivan angrily mumbled to the rude taxi driver. Ivan got about 4 blocks, and noticed out of the corner of his eye that the taxi cab driver got out of his car and started running toward Ivan with a different look on his face that Ivan just couldn’t describe. It appeared as a look of anger and business. Ivan turned around and yelled at the driver, “Go Away, what do you think you’re doing?!”

Suddenly Ivan felt himself running as fast as he could to get away from the nervous thought he held in his mind. Then all of a sudden, “Wham!” Ivan felt like he had just been slammed with 1,000 football players carrying boulders in their hands. Ivan blacked out for about 5 minutes, and when he awoke he was numb but he couldn’t move his hands at all. They appeared to be handcuffed. Ivan felt the cold trickle of oozing blood flow from the top of his cranium. He tryed to move but suddenly started crying at the seering pain surging throughout his entire body. He managed to open his eyes and focused his eyes right on the taxi cab driver. Ivan had nothing to say to the cab driver except for, “Don’t think that once I’m out of my freakin’ coma I’ll file an arrest for you!” Ivan said through tearing eyes. The driver simply said, “Son, you don’t know who you’re talking to,” and the driver walked away and Ivan just layed there, shuddering in pain.

The next morning once Ivan woke he looked around at his surroundings and soon realized that he was in the middle of a police station. His wounds were healed on his head by his ear and he also found out he broke his arm, his nose, and his head was wrapped in gauze. Ivan had the biggest headache of his life. Once he was finally awake and had open eyes. He sat right before the cab driver that tackled him. But something was unusually different about him? He had a police badge on his shirt and was wearing a police uniform and hat. “How you feelin’?” The driver said. Ivan looked at him with disbeleif on his face. “What do you mean”How am I feelin’,” Ivan mocked with complete imitation. “Exactly what I said,” the driver said. “No, first you’re gonna answer me,” Ivan said. “where am I, who are you, what’s going on, and why in the name of god did you attack me?!” “Ivan Festurn, you’re under arrest for the robbery of the Fast Mart Shop n’ Stop, and the death of Alvin Schmekling at exactly 9:13 on Wednesday August 30, 2002.” What are you talking about?!” “Mr. Festurn please do not shout, we’re going to take you in and ask you a few questions.” “Come with me.”

Ivan stood up, and walked with the strange cop. “Mr. Festurn, are you aware of entering the Fast Mart Shop n’ Stop any time, ever?” “The reason I’m asking you is because if you’re not aware you were in a coma a while ago.” “Listen, I don’t know any Alvin Schmekling,” Ivan said. “That’s what they all say kid.” “About 6 years ago on August 30, we got a report about robbery and murder, and the next day August 31, the body of Alvin Schmekling was gone and the Fast Mart Shop n’ Stop was torn down into just debris.” “Just a week ago on the exact day of the murder, the FBI was able to trace back your footsteps all the way to the address I took you to as the cab driver yesterday.” “The address was the residence of Mr. Jansen Schmekling, Alvin’s brother.” “Why were you impersonating a cab driver?” Ivan asked. “Mr. Festurn, there was no impersonation of the sort, just a meer undercover as the driver.”

“Ivan please identify this picture.” The cop showed Ivan a picture of apparently Alvin Schmekling. “I”ve never met this man in my life, Ivan said.” (Even though he had a slight feeling he had seen that face somewhere, but he was possibly just paranoid?) “Sir I know nothing of anything you are talking about, so apparently you have the wrong man,” Ivan said. Ivan slowly stood up to leave but then the cop said, ”Mr. Festurn please sit down, you’re not going anywhere until I get the information I need.” “Mr. Festurn we’re going to have to take you in for some DNA tests.” “If your DNA matches the evidence we found at the property of the Fast Mart Stop n’ Shop you will be sent to court on trial and if found guilty for life sentence to jail for first degree murder and robbery.” “Let’s go take the tests.” Ivan couldn’t put the puzzle together, but his sense of danger was right on the money. One thing he knew for sure is that he beleived that he did not commit any crime of the sort, and… the fact that Jansen Schmekling was out to get him.

What do you think? Do you think Ivan was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Do you think you know what happened 6 years ago? Do you think Ivan commited first degree murder and robbery and cannot remember because he was in a comma? And more importantly do you think that Jansen Schmekling is the real murderer and framed Ivan? Please leave a comment with your thoughts.