Reading Letter 3- 4th Quarter- Sam M.

Title- Eragon

Author- Christopher Paolini

Pages- 250/544

The book I am currently reading is called Eragon. It is about a young boy named Eragon who lives with his uncle Garrow and his cousin Roran. They live right out side of the town Carvahall which is near the Spine Mountains. One day while Eragon is hunting in the mountains he comes across a blue stone. After having the stone for a while it cracks open and a baby dragon comes out. Eragon is very surprised to see the dragon. He named the dragon Saphira. Eragon decides to keep Saphira and raise it. Eragon and Saphira have no problems till King Galbatorix sends two of his men to capture the dragon. The dragon actually is King Galbatorix’s but Eragon did not know that. When Galbatorix’s servants come, Eragon and Saphira have barley enough time to escape. The servants otherwise none as Ra’zacs burn down his uncles home and Garrow very badly. After Garrow dies, Eragon decides he does not have a reason to stay near there so he leaves. This is as far as I got.

So far I like it a lot, it is very well written. I really like how the author goes into great detail about how he feels about Saphira. Like at the beginning when Saphira first hatches out of the egg Eragon doesn’t no what to do, the author does a great job of explaining that. I also like how the put the setting in the mountains, I know I always picture dragons near mountains and in caves. I feel like the uncle could have helped Eragon raise Saphira and not die right off the back. His character could have grown into some one really important and I think that would make the story a bit more interesting. I’ve seen the movie based off this book and I already think that the book is better. The book goes into a lot better detail and I like that. But over all I the book is very good. I would recommend the book and movie to any one.