Reading Letter #3- 4th Quarter- Brianna

Hattie Big Sky

By Kirby Larson

Page 1- end (page 286)

This book is about a girl named Hattie who shifts from family member to family member trying to fit in. This book takes place in the early 1900s. Hattie receives a letter one day from her Uncle Chester, who recently died, saying that she could have part of his land if she proves up to it. So, from then on Hattie moves to the prairie of Montana to start her farm life. When arriving with her cat, Mr. Whiskers, she is welcomed by her neighbors, Perilee and Karl Mueller. This family also consisting of many children helps Hattie through the winter and into the next year. Hattie has to overcome many things while living on the prairie. I will stop there and you will have to read the book to find out if she proves up to the claim.

I really liked this book. While reading this book you feel as though you are in the 1800s, not the 1900s because of Hattie prairie life. This was a nice touch to the book. I had some questions about the book. Why did Hattie choose to move to Montana? What was she thinking when she stepped off the train? Did Mr. Whisker ever get frostbite? He followed her around all winter on the snow and ice. What will happen to Hattie in the future? What did the family members she was living with think when she left? One thing I really liked about the book is the format. Each chapter would start off with a news article that Hattie had written for a newspaper back in Iowa. This was cool to read because Hattie describes her life in an interesting way. This book is historical fiction, but by reading it I would still consider it historical fiction, but a very interesting and good one. I would recommend this book to a friend.

One thought on “Reading Letter #3- 4th Quarter- Brianna

1. Brianna,
    Good reading letter, there were only a couple punctuation and grammar issues but that is all. Well done Brianna!