Reading Letter #5 Qtr. 4- Kelsey

Escape to West Berlin

By Maurine F. Dahlberg

Pages: 174/174

This book is about the Klenk family coping with the worries of being held in East Berlin forever. Heidi Klenk lives in East Berlin during the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union. She is told that the restrictions on food, travel and pay are all to make a perfect society in the future. Then one day, her father, a worker in West Berlin is threatened with evection. Soon, Heidi’s parents are afraid the border will close altogether. Heidi and her family also have to deal with everyday life while worrying about the future. Heidi has to deal with losing her best friend and her parents have to focus on work an avoiding evection.

In all of their troubles already, Heidi’s mom has another baby and they have to worry about the babies future. This book has many twists and turns but it is very good. A lot of parts came surprising to me but the end was very good. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading about history and who like suspense and some occasional action. The family had to be very smart to come up with the secret plans that they did and it was very neat to read about how it all turned out. I liked this book because it was based on a true event in history and it showed how hard these times were and what people were experiencing.

2 thoughts on “Reading Letter #5 Qtr. 4- Kelsey

1. Kelsey,

This is very good. I have also read this book, and I enjoy it. I could only find a few minor errors. Otherwise very well done.

Sam

2. I really liked your description of this book because you added enough detail to interest me, without giving away important things