reading letter 5 -mark

Title of book: Deeper
Author: Roderick Gordon
Page 215 to page 505 = 290 pages

Soon after Cal had been killed by the “floating white stuff” and Will and Chester saw the Eliminators kill the innocent Copperlites, Will and Chester were captured by a small band of two people named Drake and Elliot. Rebecca, a Styx who was sent to spy on Will, was originally thought to be Will’s real sister, sends Will’s own mother after him, into the Deeps. Cal was actually not dead, and is revived before Drake is killed. Elliot and the boys are going to a safe place called the Wastelands, when the boys are forced to cross a small rock bridge, crossing a small ocean containing prehistoric creatures.
I wonder if Drake is actually still alive. Even though he is pelted with gunfire, no one actually saw him go down. If he was still alive, the entire storyline would change, because he would probably regroup with Elliot and save the boy’s lives. He would do this because he has a supposed plan that he needs to accomplish on the surface, but the reader doesn’t know what it is yet.
I loved this section of the book because it was action-packed, had a whole bunch of surprises in it, and was completely swamped with detail. My favorite action event was as Will is going to the restroom, the Styx arrive and separate Will from the group without light or food. Will walked around in the dark for hours, if not days, when he finally collapses. Chester eventually finds him and nourishes him back to health while Cal, Drake and Elliot are off searching for Will.
If I were Will, I would have really been scared, being left alone in the dark for days, without food, water, or the thought that I would ever see my friends again. I believe Will is one of the bravest 13 year old boys to live, because he manages to run away from the Styx and their giant evil dogs. He is smart enough to evade them for days, and he doesn’t have a nervous breakdown. I think everyone who likes fantasy should read this book because it is amazing, and I have a source who tells me the next one is even better!