Bye-Bye Bangs-FINAL-Nikki

My Earliest Memory-Bye Bye Bangs
Nikki
Final
The earliest memory I still have with me is when I was about three or four years old. I can recall playing in the tall, overgrown grass in my front yard about eight years ago. Due to my size, the grass felt like a cornfield that was miles high. My mom was working outside while I was trimming the grass with what I called “big girl scissors.” At that time, I had long, brown hair with bangs, which were in need of a trim. I can remember the smell of the fresh summer air and the frustration that came upon me every time my bangs got in my eyes, preventing my from seeing my beautiful grass masterpiece. Then, in one big slice of the scissors, my bangs were gone.
My cut bangs were blowing away in the summer wind, as I stared up at where my bangs used to be. I can see! I thought. Luckily, I hadn’t poked my eye. I played happily the rest of the day by myself hoping nobody would see.
Then, at dinner, my mom caught me. “Nicole Lyn Shah, what happened to your bangs?”
“I cut them!” I said cheerfully.
“Why?” she said, her tone increasing. I could tell instantly that she was not happy with my new haircut. I sat there in silence, not answering.
“Nikki, why did you cut your bangs?” I could see that she was trying her hardest not to yell at me.
“They got…um…they got in my way,” I said, trying to reason with her. “I’m sorry.”
“Sorry!? Nikki you can’t do that! You are not allowed to use those scissors!” she yelled. I could hear the anger in her voice. She banned me from “big girl” scissors until the fourth grade! To make it worse, I wasn’t aloud to have them in school until the sixth grade. I am finally allowed to use “big girl scissors” in peace. Next time I don’t like my bangs, I think I’ll wait until I have my hair done by a professional

6 thoughts on “Bye-Bye Bangs-FINAL-Nikki