Fatima Aslam- reading letter( the fish)

Image Starter Freewrite

Fatima Aslam

8/26/20

English 8

The fish falling from the sky, it plopped right down on the gravel street. I hurried and poke it with my finger. It was still breathing! So I ran as fast as I could and took my mothers’ favorite China tea pot, and filled it with water. The fish was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my entire life, the colors were extremely unique; blue, purple, and golden. I ran down to the Walmart across the street and asked the cashier for fish food. The cashier told me they had ran out of all the food, I asked,

“What do fish eat?” The woman had long black curly hair replied,

“Well I don’t know, maybe ham, bacon, or fish?”. I said,

“Well I don’t think the fish will eat fish nor do I think that this little fishy will eat ham or bacon. I’ll just google it.”. I bought some dead insects with micro worms. Then I headed straight for home. As I was getting closer to my house, mother was screaming, I ran in fast and found her screaming at the fish. I said 

“Don’t worry about it Mother, he won’t bite. I’ll get him out as quick as I can!”.

“If you don’t get whatever that is out right now I will cancel all your plans.”. My mother walked outside into the backyard. I wondered why she would go into the backyard? She brought out a humongous pail and told me to put the fish in it. I let the cold water flow into the bucket. After the chaotic events I wanted to go on a walk with my new friend, in one hand I was holding the grimy old pail, and in the other my phone. I walked on the sidewalk by all the shops, where I could hear all the little conversations. “Hey, these grapes took blood, sweat and tears, I ain’t selling them for $10, I charge  Them for $15!”, even I thought that was a bit much for some spoiled grapes. In the corner of my eye I saw a short, old woman walking towards me, I started speeding up. As soon as my worries faded away, she was still walking behind me! I started sweating a bit, the pail was slipping out of my hands. After a few minutes she was still behind me, she was wearing a long cloak that almost covered her whole face, I stopped to take a break, and sat down on the sidewalk of the street with my fish. The  old, strange woman asked 

“How much for the fish?” in a low raspy voice. I told her it wasn’t for sale. After that she left me alone. I kept on walking and forgot about the weird incident that occurred with the old lady.  Then there was a boy; he was tall,  he had mocha colored skin, and was dressed casually. I turned around and he smiled at me, it felt strange to me so I kept walking. After a minute of silently walking he yelled, 

“Hey wait up!”. I said,

“ What do you want?” he said, 

“There’s a place I want to take you”. I asked,

” What is your name?” he replied”

“My name is Keanu. What about you?” I said,

“ I’m Dinah”.  We talked for at least twenty minutes, and as our conversation flowed I started to trust him more. I asked him

” So, uh where’s this place you were talking about?”  Keanu replied,” You know that rainforest and how beautiful it looks, I always go there when I just need to relax, so I wanted to take you there”. Even though I felt a bit scared I trusted his instincts and let Keanu lead me to the place. We were getting deeper in the rainforest, then I heard water trickling the farther he led me. Keanu said,

” We’re here!”, I was confused at first but then I saw a stream full of the fish, exactly like the one that fell from the sky but all of them had different and extravagant colors. I was so mesmerized by all the fish, when  I took out my phone and there were so many missed calls, Mother was definitely angry. I told Keanu that  I had to leave. He asked,

“Why, we’ve only been here for like an hour?” I responded,

“Well an hour is a lot to me.”and I was headed to home until I saw a black jaguar, his fur was sleek and long and  it had a shine to it. I estimated that he was about 6 feet long, and that his claws would be razor sharp. I was panicking at this point, it felt as if my heart was about to fall out of my body. I didn’t know what to do, so my natural instinct was running away like a cheetah. As I was running away, stepping on who knows what, and getting hit in the face many times I could feel him; the jaguar behind me. I just kept on thinking about the drills we did in track practice and it felt like I was in one of my races’ again. As soon as I saw the humongous Walmart, I felt an instant relief. I saw my house, pushed open the door and started sobbing. I told her,

“Mama I am so sorry I don’t know what has gotten into me.” Mother said, 

“ It’s alright baby, tell me after you rest.”  I heard Keanu, I wondered how could he get away from the terrifying jaguar, I mean it was right behind me? Keanu said,

“Hey Dinah why’d you run away like that?”. Mama opened the door and told him,

“Don’t you dare come back here.” Even after being so exhausted I asked her why she shut the door on him. She gave me a look and said, 

“I’ve always known that boy was weird, he always takes people with him to show them something and somehow when they’re back it’s like their whole personality changes. Just to wrap it up the boy is weird, don’t talk to him.”  I was still very curious; why would Mama say something like that?  After a few days, I went down the street walked to my favorite tiny, neighborhood shop and asked my best friend Natalie, “Whats wrong with Keanu?”. Natalie said, ” He’s super weird. Rumor says it he takes people to a spot in the middle of the forest and leaves them there, and then he comes to you and asks why you left him.” After that day I never talked to him. 

2 thoughts on “Fatima Aslam- reading letter( the fish)

1. Wow! Interesting happenings. It feels like it moves too fast in parts. Maybe you should break it into scenes: scene one is the fish falling and getting the food and the pail. Scene 2 would be an expanded scene with the old woman. Scene 3 would be with the boy and the forest. Scene 4 would be the return.
    MsG