Book Letter 4 – Ben Ondetti

Ben Ondetti
September 22nd, 2020

Dear Mrs. Gibson,
Winter’s Bone
Daniel Woodrell
Page 100 to the end

Summary:

Ree is still looking for Jessup when someone from the “law” comes to tell her that she has a week to prove that Jessup is dead or else the house will be sold under her. Ree then goes to Thump Milton’s house to ask him and his severely beaten by the women of the house. After she is beaten, Uncle Teardrop comes to the rescue and helps Ree out of the situation. Later, after Ree has somewhat recovered and the women that beat her take her to her father’s body and Ree has to take a chainsaw and cut off Jessup’s two hands to prove that he is dead. Ree does that and is able to keep her house.

Response:

I really liked the ending. It’s morbid, but I’m glad that they found Jessup dead because if he was alive, there would be more problems. Halfway into the book, I really got into it and ended up reading more than a hundred pages in a week. I also think that this ending was the best possible outcome for Ree because if Jessup was alive, she’d have to deal with him too. This would be in addition to Sonny, Harold, and her mom. The ending is very hopeful but, at the same time, pretty gloomy and sad. Overall, I really like the book, and I would definitely recommend it to people who haven’t read it.

(Sorry for the tardiness, it’s been a pain having to keep track of every assignment.)

One thought on “Book Letter 4 – Ben Ondetti

1. Hey Ben,
    I agree with you that his death is probably the best outcome. It’s still sad for her to find this out. The movie does a great job of showing the craziness of this!
    MsG