Reading Letter – Matthew Whitworth

Matthew Whitworth

November 1, 2020

Hello Ms. Gibson,

Tom Sawyer

Mark Twain

Page 1 to Page 148

Summary:

In this section of the book, Tom, the protagonist, is happy with Amy, his girlfriend, and everyone around him. He then spots the new girl, Becky, and she becomes his new girlfriend. Tom and Huckleberry Finn then see a murder take place. Things start going downhill at this point in the book for the two boys. After Sid, Tom’s half-brother, gets Tom in trouble multiple times coupled with Amy and Becky turning their backs on him, Tom feels like he has no choice but to leave and never come back to the town. He decides to leave with his two of his closest friends, Joe Harper and Huckleberry Finn. They have some adventures on Jackson’s Island and talk about what they are going to do.

Response:

I like how this book was written in the 19th century. It uses words that we typically don’t use anymore. I don’t like how the book is sometimes harder to follow than other books. I wonder if Tom and Becky will make up after breaking up with each other. This is important because this is one of the reasons Tom left. I also think that the murder will be important because Tom is afraid to say anything about his account for fear that Injun Joe will come after him.

Sincerely,

Matthew Whitworth

One thought on “Reading Letter – Matthew Whitworth