Reading Letter- Quana Alaimo

Quana Alaimo

November 1, 2020

Hello Ms.Gibson,

Tom Sawyer

Mark Twain

Page 1 to page 203

Summary:

Tom Sawyer is a young boy who lives with his Aunt Polly and his step-brother Sidney. Tom has a girlfriend named Amy Lawrence, but he breaks up with her when he sees the new girl Becky Thatcher. Tom goes out with Huckleberry Finn to the graveyard and accidentally witness a murder take place. Witnessing a murder affects Tom, he starts to feel guilty for not telling anyone about the murder; Sidney doesn’t help by getting Tom in trouble for things Tom never did. Tom wants to show his family and friends that if he was to disappear they would finally care for him, so Joe Harper, Huckleberry Finn, and Tom run away to Jacksons Island to be pirates. Everyone thinks that the boys have drowned and they plan a funeral for them; during their funeral, all three boys come in and crash their own funerals.

Response:

The book’s style of writing is really interesting to read and follow along with. I really like how the book is written in a different time period, the phrases and words that are used are things that you usually wouldn’t hear anymore. The downside of the book being written in a different time is it can be challenging to know what they are saying sometimes. I wonder if Tom will ever tell somebody about what he and Huckleberry Finn witnessed at the graveyard. I think that the pressure of the secret is making Tom act out in strange ways. If he told somebody the secret he could make things a lot worse or better.

Sincerely,

Quana Alaimo

One thought on “Reading Letter- Quana Alaimo

1. Hey Quana,
    Good point about the pressure of his guilt! I do think that’s what pushes him to go talk to the lawyer.
    MsG