reading letter 5

Ally Johnson

11/1/2020

Tom Sawyer

Mark Twain

1-191

Hello Mrs. Gibson

Summary

Tom Sawyer is a young boy who we assume is about twelve. Tom has a girlfriend named Amy Lawrence but as soon as a new prettier girl comes Tom dumps Amy. Tom is very clever when he was punished into whitewashing the fence, he tricked his friends to give him things to be able to whitewash. One night when trying to cure hucks wart they witness the murder of Dr. Robinson; the boys know that joe is the murderer but he blames it on muff potter (a drunk). The town believes this lie and muff goes to jail for a crime that he did not commit. A little later tom and two friends run off to a nearby island to become pirates while the town thinks that they are dead.

Response

I liked how the author used words that could have been used in the 1800s. I think that this really helps bring the book to life and make it easier to picture. Something likable about tom is that he is very playful and mischievous. I like how he is always doing something to get into trouble, but he could not care less. Something that I dislike about Sid is that he is such a tattletale. Sid is always looking for a way to get Tom in trouble anyway he can.

Sincerely,

Ally Johnson

One thought on “reading letter 5

1. Hi Ally,
    Yes, Tom is an entertaining character. He’s young and impulsive, but you do get a sense that he has a good heart. He just doesn’t think, as Aunt Polly does accuse him!
    MsG