Reading Letter #1-1st Quarter-Brianna

Dead Roots

By Nancy Cohen

Pages 1-125 out of 244

So far not much has happen, but yet a lot has happened. Marla goes to her family reunion at an old hotel that used to belong to her family. Not much happened in the beginning of the book. The first thing to happen would be that her Aunt Polly dies in her sleep the day before Thanksgiving. Marla believes her aunt’s death has to do with the nurse’s aid that showed up the night before and said a family member hired her, even though at Thanksgiving dinner no one admitted to it. A few days later Marla is exploring Aunt Polly’s bedroom, when she starts to examine the fireplace she is pushed by something or someone and ends up in a secret passage way with a staircase. She climbs it and finds a 13th floor. The hotel was built so that the 13th floor was called the 14th floor. Marla continues up to the staircase and finds the 14th floor. Aunt Polly had told her about her Grandfather Andrew and his loot that she was trying to find. Also she told her about some letter she wrote to a man named Vincent. Marla is very curious about these. The next day at breakfast she meets a lady who looks like the nurse’s aid, but claims to be a bird watcher and had just arrived. She is leading the nature hike that day, so Marla decides to go and find out who she really is.

This book is okay. A lot of it doesn’t really need to be there such as conversations between family members that have nothing to do with any of it. I had a few question about what I read though. What are the letters about? Who is Vincent? Why not mark the 13th floor? Why doesn’t anyone know about the 13th floor? Does the nurse’s aid have anything to do with her aunt’s death? I am planning on not finishing this book due to it being very slow moving. I do think that the mystery is good, but it is moving so slow and there are much better books. To read only a little bit is hard because of the time everything takes. One thing I did like about the book though is that there were ghosts in the book, which added a nice touch to the mystery. I would definitely not recommend this book to a friend. The book I am planning on reading next will hopefully be better.