Riley- 2nd Quarter- Reading Letter #3

This Week I’ve been reading more in, “Under a Flaming Sky,” by Daniel James Brown (Pages 8-15) So far the book is not progressing the way I wanted it too but I’m not that far into it yet so hopefully, I found out more about the current news on the city fire, rather than the mans reflection on the horrific event that took place from his position in the future. One thing that I could mention is that I thought a lot about other titles that this book could have even though, “Under a Flaming Sky,” is probably the best selection. For instance, “The Burning History of My Life,” “Horrific Memories in Ash,” “My Life in the Flame.”

This book reflects a lot of scarred memories for this man, and I couldn’t IMAGINE living with this pain every day. Coming up on Thanksgiving , makes me really comprehend this book much better than I would have any other time. I’m very thankful for not only my family and friends, but for my health, my serenity, my life, my education, and every single aspect of my life. I get the sense that living with the pain of watching your family or any friends in that building burn to DEATH, falling out of 5 story buildings, blood EVERYWHERE would just be sick, but it would also paint a picture of what it would be like to be in Iraq right about now. This life seems to have so many depressing catastrophies, but in a way it helps us cope with the reality of everyday dissapointments. People…. need to live every day to the fullest, and not only that, they need to appreciate that they’re alive and well. I want to leave this post with another message repeated int he story, and that is that, “We as humans, have the capacity to look death in the face, to take it’s measure, to spit at it and deny it’s will. In this age of terror, it reminds us that we have it in us to endure calamity, to rise above even the most trying circumstances, to replace fear with hope, and to throw love and light back into the face of violence….and darkness.”