Riley- Reading Letter #4- 2nd Quarter

The Have and the Have Nots

Ernest Hemingway

pgs. 1-23

I’ve picked up another Ernest Hemingway book this week. They each seem to get more philosophical than the first no matter which order you read them in. But I can always count on getting that relaxed feeling when I sit down to read these books everytime. Basically just the beginning of the story is about a sailor man’s lifestyle, which someday I hope to live up to whenever I retire. The way Hemingway writes is somewhat difficult for some of us to comprehend. Some people that are more tense and stressed may have trouble reading these books. What I read was about how the man wakes up every morning in his little island shack on the coast, goes down to the tiki bar and the marina buys some drinks, and goes out all day to spend his life on the ocean with his friends or most of the time, alone. So far within the first couple pages, it seem’s as if Hemingway want’s to get you into this state of mind about the characters attitude and personality before he jumps into a plot or dilema.

The way Hemingway writes also reminds me of some of the music I listen to. This lifestyle seems to be a source of spirituality. To be able to live life to he fullest and do what YOU want every day, is very very healthy. Taking in positive media, like music the way I like to do is another form of this. The one island I think that these stories take place on everytime I read from him is St. John or U.S. Virgin Islands, Tortolla. Fro some reason that’s just what’s set in my mind. Some things I hope to see continue in the story are some positive quotes or messages, that I can focus the attention toward my life or reflect my attitude, a normal lifestyle that leads up to some kind of a plot and mainly I want to see some more detail about life on the coast and oceanography would be very interesting in my opinion to read more about. Telling from the title I hope to learn about possibly, those less fortuante thean I, that are still able to love life and live it everyday the way they enjoy to, and never get caught up in the, “next big thing,” or Popular… is a good word. So hopefully next week I can get even MORE out of this book!