Kodi J., 3rd quarter-Reading letter #1

Title: Hometown Legend

Author: Jerry B. Jenkins

Pg 1-120 of 301

This story is about an ex-star high school football player named Sawyer who played on the Athens City Crusaders in 1977 but was injured and had to quit. He and his 6-year-old daughter attend every home game. During one of the games, the championship coach’s son breaks his neck and dies. About 2-weeks later, Sawyer’s wife dies of cancer. Everyone is very sad. Sawyer shuts down, the coach quits and the little town of Athens, Alabama loses their prize football team. Several years later, Sawyer gets a call from the former coach who is ready to return to the game and wants him to be his assistant coach. Together, they are committed to bringing the team back to its former glory and making the town proud.

This story connects to our lives because I know most of us like watching football. I wonder if Sawyer will find new love. I also wonder if the team will end up being 1st in the championship game. It has been several years and it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to make that happen. This story shows us that sometimes it just takes time for people to deal with personal tragedy.  It must have been incredibly difficult for the coach to see his son die before his eyes and for Sawyer to lose his wife. The book says it is available on video and DVD as well. Perhaps that would make it easier to understand. Sometimes this book is hard to follow because in each chapter, a different person is remembering their past. If they would put a chapter title with the name of the person it was about, it would be a lot easier to follow.  So far, I’d give the book a 4 out of 5 (5 being the best). I would recommend this book to anybody who likes football, action and reading about overcoming tragedy.

One thought on “Kodi J., 3rd quarter-Reading letter #1

1. Hey Kodi, I thought that you did a really good job! You described the book well, had very little spelling and grammer errors, and followed the format. Good JOb- Maddie