Reading Letter #1 – Quarter 4 – Taylor

Book Title: The Man Who Loved Clowns

Author: Wood, June

Pages Read: 224-224

I have recently re-read the book The Man Who Loved Clowns. This book is one of my favorite books because of its simple messages and life stories. Each time that I read this book it reveals/ teaches me something new. I think what I most enjoy about reading the book is the love that the family seems to share amongst themselves. The character in the story also known as Delrita is very protective of her uncle (who lives with her family) seeing that he is mentally challenged. I also find it interesting to read about how Delrita deals with her uncle’s disability. It seems to give you a new perspective on what a close family member may be feeling when they have a relative that has a mental illness. Instead of Delrita accepting that her uncle may have a disability she instead tries to ignore it by lying low or as she states in the book “becoming invisible” to others so they don’t have the chance to notice or laugh at her uncle also known as Punky. Delrita and Punky did not live on their own, Delrita’s mother and father had raised Punky and Delrita. However when a tragedy strikes and Delrita loses her mother and father she is left to take care of her uncle Punky. Although Delrita aunt did take Delrita and Punky to live with her they did not enjoy their stay. As time passes Punky becomes upset and Delrita decides to take him to a amusement park. While at the park Punky has heart troubles and Delrita is forced to take the life of her uncle into her own hands.
If you are interested in reading an interesting book that teaches great morals and shows the difficulty of living with a person who is mentally challenged as well as the love that is shared between supportive families I strongly suggest you read this book. The book may include sad/ unpleasant moments but you will find that this book also includes extremely happy and joyous times.

2 thoughts on “Reading Letter #1 – Quarter 4 – Taylor

1. Taylor, this is such a good book! It is so sad but it is definitely a classic. Good reading letter!

2. Taylor, I remember reading this book. You had a really good reflection and summary, and I couldn’t find any grammar mistakes! Good job