Reading Letter 2

Spencer White

8/30/20

Hello Ms. Gibson

The Traveling Cat Chronicles

Page 60 to 151

The middle section of the book describes how Nana and Yoshimine’s cat Chatran get along. This section of the book also gives an in depth look into the backstory of how Yoshimine and Saturo met in high school. After conversing with Yoshimine, Saturo decides to keep Nana for a while until he can find a better solution because Nana and Chatran were seemingly not getting along very well. In the meantime, he goes to a bed and breakfast run by some more of Saturo’s friends. We also get a backstory on how they met.

I really like how the characters backstories are presented in the form of flashbacks, it gives depth to each of them and makes it more interesting to read about them in the present. However, I don’t like how frequently they appear, and the transition that is made when the author switches to the present and past back and forth so many times can be a bit jarring. The issue I had talked about in the previous reading letter (the lack of distinction between the cat’s thoughts and speech) is even more prevalent in this section, as a new cat is introduced (Chatran), making it even harder to tell between normal narration and dialogue between the two cats.

One thought on “Reading Letter 2

1. Hey Spencer,
    I do love the different cats, though, even as I agree it’s hard to identify what is speech, thought, etc. I sometimes hate when an author changes point of view from chapter to chapter. It just can be frustrating at times.
    MsG