Reading Letter 4

Quana Alaimo

September 18, 2020

Dear Ms.Gibson

Call of the Wild 

Jack London

Page 1 to page 176 (finished the book)

Summary: Buck is a big-hearted dog that lives with a wealthy family that spoils him, during this time people had discovered gold mines in Canada and people were looking for big dogs to carry the sleds. Buck is spotted by a man and is stolen from his home to be sold and shipped off, Buck is thrown into a crate and taken to a yard that is packed full of dogs just like him. Buck is chosen by groups of men to be put on teams to pull the sleds, Buck becomes very strong and works his way to the top of being the best dog. Buck goes to many teams until a man finds him and takes him in as his own, Buck never pulled sleds again; the man who takes him in, John, is shot by the Indian tribes one evening while Buck is out hunting. Buck ends up finding a wild pack of wolves and lives with them and never looking back on his old life

Response: I love how Buck was able to adapt from being spoiled and well taken care of to not really having a lot of people to look after him. He didn’t like being worked so hard until he thought about it as a competition which made him excited to pull the sleds each day. I wonder if Buck ever didn’t get along with the pack of wolves he ended up living with. The author never really explained much about the wolves and what they were like. The book’s plot was very detailed and specific which made the book even better to read.  I really enjoyed reading this book I enjoyed reading about Bucks life and how he went through many challenges but he ended up finding people that he loved being with.

Sincerely, Quana

One thought on “Reading Letter 4