Reading Letter Week 5

Jackson Osten

Hello, Ms. Gibson

09/16/2020

Phillip Reeves

Mortal Engines

Page 216 + Page 296 = 80 pages Read

Summary

Tom and Hester watch as Valentine destroys the Anti-Traction League’s Airships and kills Miss fang, they then go to Miss Fang’s airship and start to fly to London. Meanwhile, in London Bevis pod and Kate are restricted to the historian section because the league of engineers found out about there plan to blow up the computer brain. Tom and Hester arrive at London and Valentine (trying to kill Hester) accidentally stabs Kate and he is now emotionally broken, the 13th-floor elevator crashes and burns killing Bevis pod, then Valentine holds Katherine in his arms as M.E.D.U.S.A blows up destroying London and all of his people. Tom and Hester Fly away having bad feelings in their stomachs and not at all having the feeling of being a hero.

Response

I loved the part of the book where Chrome tells the league of Engineers that there is a traitor among the Historians. I think they were talking about Bevis Pod being made into a Stalker (undead more solid) because Bevis was taken down into the Deep Gut. I dislike the section of the book where everyone died. When I said M.E.D.U.S.A blowing up killed everyone in London, I meant it, everyone in London died. I wonder if The Stalkers in London survived the explosion. I saw the movie adaptation of this and Shrike (one of the undead soldiers) get run over by an entire town and is perfectly intact. The fact that London is destroyed is important because the movie adaptation is different from the book. In the movie series, Valentine goes mad, shoot Crome, and dies with his crew on the 13th-floor elevator. London slams into the anti-traction league wall and stops and everyone is ok, instead of everything on the wall burning and everyone on London dying.

Q: What is likable about the protagonist?

A: Tom is likable because he learns to stop questioning everything but also tries to save his people.

Q: What made the Antagonist bothersome

A: The antagonist was bothersome because he kept trying to blow up the wall and never put anyone’s safety or lives first

One thought on “Reading Letter Week 5

1. Hey Jackson,
    So do you like the movie or the book better?? I heard some pretty bad things about how much was changed in the movie version.
    MsG