Reading Letter

Nathan Wu

24 January 2021

Dear Ms. Gibson,

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

J.K. Rowling

Page 100 – 150

Summary:

The Triwizard Tournament is a tournament between 3 wizarding schools, Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang and 1 person from each compete for lots of money, fame and the Triwizard Cup. This is the first time the schools have done this in a long time and only some people are eligible to join. Only the people that are at their last year can join and Dumbledore, the headmaster, cast a spell such that only the certain people can enter their names. The three people that got chosen was Cedric Diggory, Victor Krum,  and Fleur Delacour. As three champions get chosen for the Triwizard cup, Dumbledore was about to continue until the Goblet spit out a fourth name. There was a hesitation and Dumbledore yells out Harry’s name.

Response:

I almost was very surprised when I first read it this part. Whenever the book started describing how the Goblet was going to spit out another name, I knew it was going to be Harry Potter and in my head, i was thinking “Ohhhh its going to be Harry Potter, it has to be!” and sure enough Harry’s name was drawn from the Goblet. As Dumbledore yelled out the name, I emerged inside the book. I loved how the author really set the book up as if we were in the wizarding world. I thought that it was neat how Dumbledore cast a spell around the Goblet and can not only separate the younger and older students but also prove effective against Fred and George Weasley’s tricks. I think it would be really cool participating in this kind of event, except for the part were it can get you killed.